While it may seem to have little room for growth, Alabama’s forest products industry is expanding its base. Alabama has the second largest timberland base in the U.S., and companies like Georgia Pacific and Weyerhaeuser continue to make investments in the state.
- 2nd largest timberland base in the U.S.
- 23 million acres of timberland in Alabama
- $1.1 billion in forest product exports in 2015
- 26,000 employed in forest product sector
- 2nd largest producer of pulp and paper in the U.S.
- No. 7 in lumber production
- No. 8 in wood panel production
Forest Product Companies
- Georgia Pacific
- International Paper
- Brown-Forman Cooperage
- Zilkha Biomass Energy