MONTGOMERY, Feb. 7, 2017—Alabama’s sixth annual Severe Weather Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday will be held Friday, Feb. 24, through Sunday, Feb. 26. Alabamians are encouraged to stock up on a variety of supplies for protecting their homes or businesses during Alabama’s tornado and hurricane seasons.
A provision in the Severe Weather Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday law allows counties and municipalities to join the state by removing their own local sales and use taxes from the same items during the same weekend (Reference: Act 2012-256).
ADOR has compiled a list of all cities and counties participating in the 2017 Severe Weather Preparedness Tax Holiday. The city and county listing is available at http://revenue.alabama.gov/salestax/WPSalesTaxHol.cfm.
The following list contains examples of items covered under the Severe Weather Preparedness holiday.
Items that have a sales price of $60 or less per item:
• Batteries: AAA-cell batteries, AA-cell batteries, C-cell batteries, D-cell batteries, 6-volt batteries, 9-volt batteries. (NOTE: coin batteries, automobile batteries, and boat batteries are not exempt.)
• Cellular phone battery
• Cellular phone charger
• Portable self-powered or battery-powered radio, two-way radio, weather-band radio or NOAA weather radio
• Portable self-powered light source, including battery-powered flashlights, lanterns, or emergency glow sticks
• Tarpaulin, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths, and other flexible, waterproof sheeting
• Ground anchor system, such as bungee cords or rope, or tie-down kits
• Duct tape
• Plywood, window film or other materials specifically designed to protect window coverings
• Non-electric food storage cooler or water storage container
• Non-electric can opener
• Artificial ice, blue ice, ice packs, reusable ice
• Self-contained first aid kit
• Fire extinguisher
• Smoke detector
• Carbon monoxide detector
• Gas or diesel fuel tank or container
Items that have a sales price of $1,000 or less:
• Portable generators and power cords
For more information about Alabama’s annual Sales Tax Holiday for Severe Weather Preparedness, visit http://revenue.alabama.gov/salestax/WPSalesTaxHol.cfm.