Startups from Birmingham, Huntsville and Anniston will pitch their ideas before a panel of judges next month in hopes of winning a share of $250,000 in funding.
Alabama Launchpad, a 10-year-old program of the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama, has selected eight young companies from 17 applicants for its next round of competition. In addition to funding, entrepreneurs receive mentoring to help their businesses grow.
The startups will make their first pitches at 9 a.m. Feb. 19 at Evonik Industries in Birmingham. Select teams will then move on to the Alabama Launchpad Startup Competition Finale in early April.
“The year and the path ahead for our program are more exciting and even bigger than that was imagined when our program first launched back in 2006,” Launchpad Programs Director Greg Sheek. “We look forward to continuing our important work with the next round of the competition to help high growth companies start, stay and grow in the state to create jobs.”
The eight companies to make first pitches are:
- Alternavisit, based in Birmingham, is a secure cloud based software to capture patient requests for care without a doctor’s office visit and creates an efficient solution of communication and information capture.
- BSRD LLC, based in Huntsville, works to design, build, test, and sell advanced aerospace propulsion solutions based on the enabling technology of the turbo rocket engine.
- Care Package, based in Birmingham, is a grocery delivery service for Tuscaloosa, with University of Alabama students as a target market, in which customers use an app for services.
- Concur Messaging, based in Birmingham, provides a set of components that complement a backend service to provide real-time chat to applications with fast setup.
- Flood-Con, based in Birmingham, offers an automated control structure that replicates the natural runoff during all real storm events.
- Tech to Table, based in Mobile, develops applications to improve restaurant operations and guests’ dining experiences.
- White’s Environmental Solutions, based in Anniston, takes organic wastes and transforms them into a solution for farmers and landscapers.
- XpertDox, LLC, based in Birmingham, is an online doctor finder tool personalized for patients’ diseases based on doctors’ clinical skill, educational and leadership roles and research.
January 14, 2016