The winners of the Birmingham Business Alliance‘s 2015 Small Business Awards ranged from barbecue to law firms.
The awards were presented Tuesday night at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. The Alabama Media Group was a sponsor of the event.
More than 90 companies qualified for the awards, which were were judged by an independent panel.
The three 2015 honorary award winners were:
- Barfield Murphy Shank & Smith LLC: Small Business Champion of the Year.
- Tracey Morant Adams, executive vice president and small business and community development director for Renasant Bank: the Jesse J. Lewis Jr. Small Business Advocate of the Year.
- Golden Flake Snack Foods: Legacy Business of the Year.
The competitive award categories were:
- The Watkins Agency Inc. received the Small Business of the Year Award, with one to 15 employees.
- o2ideas received the Small Business of the Year Award, with 16 to 50 employees.
- Bridgeworth LLC received the Small Business of the Year Award, with 51 to 250 employees.
- Tamika Holmes of T.D.H. Corp. LLC received the Young Professional of the Year Award.
- The Red Barn received the Nonprofit of the Year Award, with a budget of less than $500,000.
- Hand in Paw received the Nonprofit of the Year Award, with a budget more than $500,000.
- Isotope Eleven Inc. received the Technology/Biotechnology Business of the Year Award.
- Pack Health received the Emerging Business of the Year Award.
- Creative Concepts received the International Trade Excellence Award.
- SisterGolf received the Dr. A.G. Gaston Emerging Minority- or Woman-owned Business of the Year.
- Betsy McAtee, CEO of Dreamland Holding Co. LLC, was named Executive of the Year.
As the Small Business Executive of the Year, McAtee will serve as the Executive in Residence at Samford University’s Brock School of Business during the 2015-2016 school year. Duties include speaking to small business and entrepreneurship classes, advising tenants at the Brock School of Business Incubator, and participating in school functions, including judging the annual Regions Bank New Venture Challenge.
McAtee and the management team of Dreamland also won the gold award for Annual Sales $5 Million to $20 Million at the Alabama Retailer of the Year awards earlier this month.
October 28, 2015