Alabama manages international business through a variety of touch points: professional development, first-class trade missions, distribution of qualified point-to-point international leads, and excellent trade publications.
The Alabama Department of Commerce’s Office of International Trade aids the development and promotion of exports, and stands behind the belief that our state’s economy is a direct correlation to our competitive international business acumen. We offer plenty of paths to help business enter new profitable markets, including:
- Instructing and training companies for success on a global scale
- Providing vital foreign-market information and beneficial international contacts
- Promoting the state through presentations, online databases, trade associations, and publications
- Circulating key contacts in finance, as well as mining for investment opportunities
- Organizing both domestic and international trade support programs and events
- Using and connecting businesses with valuable resources for access to the best markets, distributors, and qualified agents
Trade programs are funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Alabama State Trade Expansion Program (STEP)
Through the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) State Trade Expansion Program (STEP), the Alabama Department of Commerce’s International Trade Office offers qualifying Alabama businesses financial assistance to help defray costs associated with exporting to overseas markets. STEP can reimburse eligible Alabama business for various costs associated when participating in trade missions and trade shows as well as compliance testing of existing products for entry into an export market. The Alabama Online Global Program can provide a grant for programs to help businesses benefit from best-practice, optimally localized business development websites, allowing companies to be found and understood while making it easier to conduct business within target markets.
For further information on how the STEP program can help you be successful in exporting, contact your international trade specialist.