Malware entering the control systems of an airplane. A cyber attack that disrupts power service on the electrical grid. Data locked in the solid state memory of a criminal’s cell phone. Personal information stored by banks, corporations, and websites – all vulnerable to identity theft.
- 73% job growth from 2007-2013, over twice the growth rate for all other IT jobs combined
- 7 PhD-granting universities in Alabama
- 1 billion emails and over 800,000 confirmed phishing websites catalogued by UAB’s Center for Information Assurance and Joint Forensics Research
- 2nd largest research park in the US located in Huntsville, with over 400 companies
- 7 government agencies within the state involved in ongoing cyber security research
- 10 cyber security startups in the state
- 25 community colleges in the state offering IT programs, with 15 covering cyber security topics