Innovation has always been a catalyst for competition and success in Alabama. Rich with startups, incubators, universities, and with an exemplary workforce, good ideas are a currency in our state.
On the corporate side, formidable industry leaders include Boeing, Airbus, Toyota, Hyundai, and Mercedes-Benz, all contributing to Alabama’s earned reputation for innovation. Boeing, for instance, operates an R&D center in Huntsville that is dedicated to investigating new technologies that can be deployed in the company’s products.
Alabama’s universities help to supply Alabama with a resourceful workforce. Students at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) are able to conduct research side by side with experts from NASA, the U.S. Army, the Missile Defense Agency and other agencies. Auburn University has been a national hub for additive manufacturing technologies and works closely with GE Aviation, which 3-D prints jet engine components at a plant in Auburn.
The University of Alabama offers a research program called The Alabama Innovation and Mentoring of Entrepreneurs (AIME) designed to bring together students studying market research and business development and entrepreneurial training. UAB is home to the Center for Nanoscale Materials and Biointegration, whose research crosses physics, chemistry, cell biology, materials, mechanical, and biomedical engineering disciplines.
- 5,000 jobs in companies dedicated to research and development
- UAB received $715 million in research funding in 2022
- 7 FDA-approved cancer drugs by Southern Research
- Boeing operates R&D center focusing on new technologies in Huntsville
- Top 5 state for aerospace engineers
- Cummings Research Park (Huntsville) — second largest U.S. research park
Research and Development Organizations
- UAB School of Medicine
- The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
- Innovation Depot
- Auburn University’s Samuel Ginn College of Engineering
- University of South Alabama’s Mitchell Cancer Center
- Southern Research
- University of Alabama’s Alabama Innovation and Mentoring of Entrepreneurs (AIME)
- UAH’s Aerophysics Research Center