Five teams will compete for their chance of up to $250,000 in funding this week during Alabama Launchpad’s Startup Competition Finale in Huntsville.
The Economic Development Partnership of Alabama program will begin at 4:05 p.m. Thursday with a pitch event at Design Lab at Lincoln Mill on 1300 Meridian St. Attendees will enjoy free food and drinks during a networking session after the final startup finishes.
Teams from Huntsville, Florence and Tuscaloosa will participate in the finale:
- LiTeWater, of Tuscaloosa, filters and eliminates harmful bacteria and viruses from tap water through a breakthrough ultraviolet water treatment technology.
- MechOptix, of Huntsville, has developed Stoptix, an automatic brake lamp that protects your vehicle from rear-end collisions.
- PartCycle Technologies, of Florence, is an e-commerce marketplace for the auto parts industry that connects people who need auto parts with those who have them for sale, using a trustworthy, simple platform.
- ACE Creative Engagement, of Huntsville, is a consumer grade tool to address the pains of live video broadcasting.
- Vital Metrix, of Huntsville, provides data to a patient’s cardiologist while the patient is home and allows for the better treatment of congestive heart failure and quality of life.
EDPA spokeswoman Val Walton said judges will begin deliberations soon after the pitch event ends at 5:45 p.m. Another prize, the People’s Choice Award, will provide an additional $1,000 to one of the five teams.
“This is a great opportunity for people to come out in a fun environment and support aspiring entrepreneurs who are working to create future jobs for the state of Alabama,” said Launchpad Programs Director Greg Sheek. “Huntsville has a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem.”
The nonprofit has previously held the event in Birmingham in conjunction with the annual Alabama Entrepreneurship and Innovation Conference.
The Birmingham organization hopes to spur more involvement in Alabama Launchpad by startup companies across the state.
December 8, 2015