MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Alabama storm survivors have less than one month to register for federal disaster assistance.
The deadline to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency for help with damage as a result of Alabama’s recent severe storms, straight-line winds, tornadoes and flooding is Tuesday, July 1, 2014.
Residents of Baldwin, Blount, DeKalb, Etowah, Jefferson, Lee, Limestone, Mobile or Tuscaloosa counties who suffered storm damage during the period April 28 through May 5 should aapply for assistance by registering online at DisasterAssistance.gov,via smartphone at m.fema.gov or by phone at 800-621-3362; TTY 800-462-7585. Multilingual operators are available.
If you have received a U.S. Small Business Administration disaster loan application for physical damages, it must be completed and returned to SBA by July1 to be eligible for other federal assistance.
FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for childcare, medical, dental expenses and/or funeral expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, those who are referred to the SBA must complete and submit an application to the SBA for a decision.
Should the SBA not approve the application, the applicant may be referred back to FEMA for assistance with damaged personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, moving and storage expenses.
As you begin to recover from the floods, insurance may not meet all your needs. Federal assistance from FEMA may help with expenses insurance does not cover, so register with FEMA even if you have insurance.
If you have had an initial FEMA inspection of your property and you disagree with the findings, you may appeal the decision by calling the FEMA helpline for instructions on the appeal process, at 800-621-3362; TTY 800-462-7585.
Recovery Centers are open this week from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m in the following locations:
- Baldwin County (Centers transition to SBA Disaster Loan Centers on Fri., 6/13)
- Elberta Town Hall,10352 Main St., Elberta, AL 36530
- Fairhope Civic Center (Delchamps Room), 161 North Section St., Fairhope, AL 36532
- Jefferson County (Center transitions to SBA Disaster Loan Center on Sat., 6/14)
- Maurice C. West Community Center, 171 Second St. SW, Graysville, AL 35073
- Limestone County (Center transitions to SBA Disaster Loan Center on Fri., 6/13)
- Ripley Woodmen of the World Hall, 11281 Ripley Road, Athens, AL 35611
- Mobile County (Center transitions to SBA Disaster Loan Center on Fri., 6/13)
- Old Navy/Marine Corps Reserve Center, 4851 Museum Dr., Mobile, AL 36608