The SBA Alabama District Office presented awards for Small Business Person of the Year and Small Business Exporter of the Year at the Alabama Lenders Conference luncheon at the Marriott Legends at Capitol Hill in Prattville on May 7. Presenting the awards were SBA Regional Administrator Cassius Butts, SBA Alabama District Director Tom Todt and SBA Regional Manager – Export Solutions Group Sandro Murtas. The awards recognized outstanding Alabama small businesses for 2013.
The Alabama Small Business Person of the Year Award was presented to Ellen M. Didier, president of Red Sage Communications Inc., a marketing communications firm located in Decatur. The Alabama Small Business Exporter of the Year Award was presented to Lynn Leeper, president and CEO of AZ Technology Inc., a manufacturer of coatings and instrumentation located in Huntsville.
The winners also competed for regional and national awards as part of National Small Business Week. National Small Business Week is June 17–21 this year and culminates in festivities recognizing outstanding small businesses in Washington, D.C., on June 21.
Commercial lenders from throughout Alabama were presented with awards recognizing outstanding participation in SBA loan programs in 2012. The event was hosted by the Alabama Small Business Development Center Network and provided training and exhibitors that have a role in SBA’s loan programs for small businesses.
Butts, the SBA regional administrator, was the keynote speaker at the luncheon and congratulated the lenders and participants for their work in assisting Alabama’s small businesses with their capital needs. The following awards were presented:
- BBVA Compass Bank – 2012 Alabama Lender of the Year, Loan Volume, 2012 Alabama Lender of the Year, Loan Dollar Volume, and 2012 Alabama Express Lender of the Year
- Southern States Bank – 2012 Community Bank of the Year.
- Worthington Federal Bank – 2012 Alabama Vanguard Award Lender.
- ServisFirst Bank – 2012 Alabama Lender of the Year 504 Participation, Loan Volume and 2012 Alabama Lender of the Year 504 Participation, Loan Dollar Volume.
- Southern Development Council – 2012 Certified Development Company of the Year, 504 Loan Volume and 2012 Certified Development Company of the Year, 504 Loan Dollar Volume.
Alabama’s commercial lenders made $123 million in SBA 7a loans, and $96 million in 504 loans during fiscal 2012.