In Alabama, every season is growing season. Year over year, the skilled hands behind Alabama’s food production businesses prove there is a green thumb behind what gives the state agriculture industry a national reputation.
Every year, Alabama’s soil is tilled for all types of success. Around 39,000 farms on 8.3 million acres of in the state yield a bounty of agriculture products. Alabama ranks second among the states in freshwater fish production, third in poultry production, third in peanut production, and in the Top 10 for cotton production. Total agricultural cash receipts reached almost $5.8 billion in 2018.
The real workhorse here is Alabama’s 40,000-strong agriculture workforce, whose hard work supported nearly $500 million worth of exports in 2019, including $262 million in food products.
- Agriculture exports from Alabama approached $500 million in 2019
- Industry employs over 40,000 workers
- Accounts for over 13 percent of manufacturing jobs
- Over 400 production and beverage product establishments in Alabama
- 8.3 million acres of farm land
- No. 2 in U.S. freshwater fish sales
- No. 3 in U.S. poultry production
- No. 3 in U.S. peanut production
Agriculture Products & Food Production Companies
- Wayne Farms
- R.L. Zeigler
- Sunshine Mills
- Priester’s Pecan Co.
- Mrs. Stratton’s Salads
- Tyson Foods
- Lancaster Colony
- Red Diamond Tea & Coffee
- Bud’s Best Cookies
- Koch Foods
- Royal Cup Coffee
- Barber Dairies
- Buffalo Rock
- Golden Flake Snack Foods
- Pilgrim’s Pride
- Golden State Foods
- Mar-Jac Poultry
- To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co.
- Coca-Cola United
- John Soules Food